Thursday, May 29, 2008

Pareto principle!

The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule, the law of the vital few and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.

The 80/20 Rule means that in any set of things (workers, customers, etc.) a few (20 percent) are vital and many (80 percent) are considered trivial.

I first learnt it in my computer engineering course. I vaguely remember it was something to do with Software Development cycle or something like that.

I revisited Pareto principle in my MBA days.

I recently re-revisited a revised Pareto Principle (90/10) when I read an article supposedly by Stephen Covey which said that "10% of life is made up of what happens to you. 90% of life is decided by how you react."

Now, 5 months down in 2008, I realise that not only I am revisiting Pareto principle, I am LIVING it.

As 16th June approaches (the day Fountainhead School opens to 200 bright new faces), my mind is a muddle of excitement and stress. (I had a similar feeling when I was in my 9th month of pregnancy waiting for Sunay to arrive).

A lot of vital things for the school are being done in the last 20% of time. Sometimes, I wonder, was I inefficient earlier/ napping for the past 5 months? But hey! the Italian economist said this in early 1900's. So, I assure myself that it is normal and keep going on.

On some days, I am at my efficient and effective best,am productive at work and am a happy,worn out individual when I go to bed. On some days, I am stressed, panicky and move around with a sense of urgency which refuses to translate itself into productive work and I sit up in the middle of the night thinking of the work that I need to do tomorrow and what I could have done today.

I need to direct this nervous energy in productive work...

So, signing off now..

4 comments:

Unknown said...

heh i read tht 80/20 principle in a book named eat that frog by brain tracy:)
gud luck for your school:)

Kau said...

Love your blog !
Pls write more often !
Kau

Vinay said...

I was going on the net to find more about you and Vardan and fountainhead. I liked your blog. I had been intending to start my blog but did't know the purpose but I think by going today through your blog i did learn something. I am really inspired. I really got present to my son "dancing" when I get back to home from my Office. THANK YOU So much. I attended your Introduction to "IB Board" today. I am really inspired by the way you both are going ahead and growing. My Hats off to both of you

Vinay said...

I was going on the net to find more about you and Vardan and fountainhead. I liked your blog. I had been intending to start my blog but did't know the purpose but I think by going today through your blog i did learn something. I am really inspired. I really got present to my son "dancing" when I get back to home from my Office. THANK YOU So much. I attended your Introduction to "IB Board" today. I am really inspired by the way you both are going ahead and growing. My Hats off to both of you